Wednesday 3 December 2008

The hidden wonders of Buenos Aires

have lived in Palermo, BA for four months now but it continues to surprise me every time I head out of my apartment and wander the streets for a few hours. I enjoy wandering the streets, it is the best way to discover things, armed with my camera, the city is my oyster stuffed full of little gems, amusing concoctions and photo opportunities such as these two tree related incidents:



A tree inside a paint shop...

The chaos caused by a fallen tree on Guruchaga, Argentines love to stand and stare.

Or this Holy ceramic tile shop and this fine "vinatge" car:




Over the past two years I have grown an interest for capturing street art from across the world. After two trips to Spain and Portugal, I cam back with a pictural collection of some really cool pieces of art that were found down darkened alleys, high up on busy shopping streets, hidden away by your feet, bright colourful, unavoidable monsters or whole houses decorated in a very unique style.



After wandering around Buenos Aires I discovered there is some excellent street art to be found here too just on the street and I am not talking "te amo Juan" but art en la calle. I was thinking it would really interesting to for someone to integrate GPS with digital cameras, streamlining the Flickr techno revoltion of photography with place. For examples it would be ace to digitally map the locations of pieces of street art and create almost virtual tours where the city is a gallery and the streets its walls. However, this would take away the joy of just stumbling across street art, I love walking down a street and spotting on a corner a mural, or a stencil, something different which has effort but no artist, no preconcpetions just an image on a street corner. Who knows, I beleive Flickr has an application to map your photos manually so I think I am going to do this for what I have so far of BA so if anyone is living in BA and reading this, or indeed, if anyone is interested in street art, check out my Flick folder: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lowflyingowl/sets/72157605918614351/

Super Furry Animal

Also check out Kuildoosh (in my links section) a fine worldy site for all things street art.

No comments: