Friday 8 August 2008

From Cumbia to Carets

I have been here two weeks now which has flown by, as time always does! I started my uni courses this week (or rather attempted to...) trying out a few classes and orientating myself. The flat is still very cool, had some fun nights out with the francesas Laura and Fanny and Pamela de Mexicoo. Another new flatmate just arrived, Sofia from Germany, making it 7 in the flat + Francis' girlfriend and then another french girl who I am yet to meet. Loco but good, everyone speaks Spanish and are all de muy buena onda (though don't really speak to/see Amanda, the American girl, much)

Our terrace in the flat.

Last night was the first BA hotspot tick, NiceTo Club, as in Calle Niceto Vega, not like Nice to Meet you club...Anyhoo, it has a reputation for putting on exciting music from live acts, from Battles to Bill Callahan and club nights, such as last night. It is about a 5 min taxi ride away. Thursday night is an institution at Niceto. It is split into 2 rooms, one called Zizek, a mezcla of urban soundz and the other half is called Club 69, a huuge electro-techno extravaganza with a stage, dancers, lights, muuucha gente and so on..They couldn't be more different. Zizek was cooler, Club 69 was intense, I dont think I have ever been to a club night like it...

Zizek also introduced me to what is "hip" in Buenos Aires: Cumbia. It is from the streets of Columbia but seems to have spread all over Latin America. A very strange thing indeed, it is treated as hip-hop, undrground and from the streets. I recall Mr Optimo telling me about a friend who went to BA and discovered all the young kids were going to little undergournd clubs and listening to this lurching, slow, sleazy Cumbia music which was the new hip-hop. What distinguishes it is the unmistakeable Cumbia rhythm, it is a slow kind of shuffling latino hip hop. The cumbia that is cool here is from the poorer areas, similar to the UK grime scene or US hip-hop I guess. I am only on the tip of the iceberg at the moment and don't know anything but what I heard and was told. Check out the previews here of some stuff: http://zzkrecords.com/album/ZZK_Sound_Vol._1_-_Cumbia_Digital

We stuck to Zizek, had a shuffle for a few hours and left around 3/4 at which time there was still a biig cue to get in and the place was packed. All this for $7 pesos entrance (about £1). Not bad. Tonight is another kettle of fish! Krobar for Swayzak!! $50 pesos! But..if he were in the Sub Club in Glasgow....the same methinks. Vamos a ver! Seems BA is incredibly happenin and I need to pace myself!

In other news...seems fame can't help but follow me around :p After my brief spell as a Cosmopolitan contributer, my stint on Radio 1 and a few chance meetings with some famous musicians I have once again stumbled into something. Went to Bomba del Tiempo on my first day in the new house and met a chap in the street called Adrian. Aaanyhoo, to cut a long story short, he found out I was English, and this could talk like an englishman...and asked me if I wanted to do some "voiceovers" for some sort of show with people wearing maskes? At this point I was adapting to the language and he speaks like a true Argentinian, at times impossible, I was confused. I just said sure, here is my email add and thought nothing of it, might be fun?

So, few days later I get a message, hey we are meeting up to discuss the voiceovers, this time, this place, be cool if you came along. It was about a 5 min walk from the house so I went along, with Pamela for some support, and arrived at this house, looked just like a house. We enter and all becomes clear. It is the office for a group of young argentinians who work on various products, their main one being a comedy magazine called Revista Nah! (http://www.revistanah.com.ar/) An underground satirical magazine with silly things such as "Cow falls in love with mechanical bull!" and "Russian man arrested with 150 Mamushkas, 300 Mamushkas, 600 Mamushkas, 1200 Mamushkas". Silly but veery funny (if you can get past all the Argentinian slang!) They have produced a pilot in Spanish for a comedy series calld The Carets and wanted to make the same, except in English. It is a sketch show based on famous characters, kinda like Dead Ringers but not really...All the characters are real people but with masks of famous people and voiceovers afterwards.


So I did some voices for them, recorded them on Wednesday night in a very swish recording studio, vamos a ver! Afterwards the guys were like, "look man we really appreciate you doing this for us, if you ever need anything in Palermo just let us know, we have like a good community vibe going on and we all kinda help each other out" Ok cool, so now I am "in"? Sounds good, perhaps I will look them up later. They were all really sound and really enthusiastic and hopefully the pilot will go well, they are looking to send it out to the US and the UK, i.e. Channel 4 or BBC3, now that would be cool. Anyhow, check it out here: http://www.thecarets.com/

Ya esta.

No comments: