Wednesday 10 September 2008

God and Hot-Dogs

On my many journeys on the buses of Buenos Aires (think I have settled on my favourite: 37, it is green, quick and there are lots of them so it is never really busy!) I have had my finest blog inspirations; musings that belong somewhere, here?

Two things that have brought to my attention by these unsuspecting Porteños are religion and Super Panchos. Super Panchos are basically hot-dogs which are sold in most little kioskos alongside cigarettes and chewing gum and religion is one of those funny little human inventions to make our dreary lives a little more exciting. Quite a juxtaposition Super Panchos and God, I will adress the question of their religious status later but for now I move on to the man himself, or rather his houses.

I only noticed this week just how common it is to see people crossing themselves in the street as they pass by a church. They also do it on the buses and many of the buses themselves have crosses or pictures of saints emblazoned on the doors. I have seen children, men in suits, ageing but refitted fashionistas, beggars all crossing themselves at every church, everyone is at it. This may not strike some people as odd but for me it stood out. It is something I had not experienced before, perhaps it is a common. It is a reminder that the modern, plastic, fashion obsessed, partying Argentina also has time for God.

Another God who apparently guides the way. Jah!

Now then, moving swiftly on, and segueying rather nicely from god to hot-dogs (God=dog backwards - chance?) Super Panchos. Super Panchos are just great! They cost $2.50(pesos), about 50p, they are quick, come with little crispy potato bits, sauces and are perfect for a quick lunch on the run between lectures or work (as I seem to be doing quite a lot at the moment.) There is of course the small risk of food poisoning but it is best to consider this as an exciting risk which makes them only more enticing! I have started to judge Super Panchos depending on pancho quality, quality of bread, crips, amount of sauce etc. Eating one may well be a little far from a religious experience but I remain hopeful that there exists the perfect Super Pancho, God only knows?(!)

Now that really is a super pancho, all the way from Boulder, California!

It just occured to me that there is another thing which has been getting my goat this past week (didn't know I had a goat until this went and took it away from me. I miss the goat I never had!) God dam monedas! Small change! Every day I desperately hunt out small change, eyeing up supermarkets, prices of fruit, chewing gum, everything just to make up the magical 90 centavos for the bus journey. It is almost forbidden to ask for change for notes in shops, a definite faux pas, so you have to be smarter. It is a battle between consumer and shop owner, each knowing the canny tricks and each trying to outsmart the oposition. Water priced at $2, sneakily hiking the price of a sandwhich up 20c so as to be able to give a note in change, pretending you don't have that 10 cents stuffed in your other pocket, "ai perdon no tengo nada". What I don't understand is why? Why don't the buses have a smart little card system, a monthly, yearly thing? Why doesn't the government create more coins (plastic ones would suffice! Though I fear I may have just demonstrated my ignorance in regards to world finance, its ok, not like I work in "the sector" or anything...) At times this country is ridiculous! Es una boludesa!

$1.50, that's one and a half bus journeys! Only 30c to go...

Anyhow, a few bits of news from this side of the ocean, or from the other side (depends which ocean and where you are???) I have a job, as a financial journalist's assistant (he also writes pieces on news etc in Argentina/LatAm) and before you jump to the conclusion that I am a money hungry, capitalist bastard, it is all quite interesting! Lots of new words (english and spanish!) and lots of phone conversations, oh and I will earn a bit of money which is nice. It does, however, mean I am working 18 hours a week and that I have to work from 9am Mon Tue and Thurs. Good experience though! The other bit of news is I am hopefully arranging something journalistically/musically related here...All a bit up in the air, have to wait and see.


Saw this sign and it made me laugh: like the brand name for a whisky from Skye.

No comments: